Sunday 10 July 2011

BRUM ZINE FEST



So, I had a table at Birmingham Zine Festival yesterday and I took my mum to help. As much of an embaressment she was and didn't really 'get' the zine thing, it still meant she manned my stall while I went in search of ziney goodness (shown below). I sold quite a few zines and a few prints too! Super stoked. Thank you to everyone who came and bought stuff and showed interest! It was nice to meet people who wanted to do zine swaps and who had already got copies of my previous zines, really made the whole thing worthwhile doing :)


Zine fest when it had quitened down a bit.




Just some of the zine goodies I acquired.





Doris zine anthology...

*Cindy (Crabb) writes her zine, Doris, like she is figuring out the human condition. She makes writing about the ssimplest and most comman things - playing music, childhood, cooking, or sex - resonate with universal understanding.

She helps us make sense of more complex things like the satisfaction from doing useful work, natural curiosity, the ability to use logic, gender dynamics, introspection, and the need for challenge and change, combating depression, and creating art and literature.

She explores more difficult subjects, like abortion, rape, sexual harassment, and dealing with the death of family, in a context that is enlightening and persoal, feeling like a close friend opening up to you. What's impressive though is that she realtes these things throughout her zine with seemless beauty.*

...blurb on the back Doris. Such a rad book that I found at the zine fest (only one copy on the stall!) which will make excellent reading and research, not only for my own personal gain, but for my dissertation too. I will be looking at zines, specifically looking at per-zines, Riot Grrrl and Feminism.

No comments: