Wednesday 27 March 2013

Volunteering for the Flying Seagull Project

A few posts ago, I blogged about The Flying Seagull project, (registered charity no.1136379) which promotes "fun therapy" travelling across the world working with all sorts of disadvantaged people. Check out that blog post for more information on what the charity does.

Alternatively, here is the link to their blog: http://theflyingseagullproject.blogspot.co.uk/

I will soon be a member of the Seagulls (maybe I already am!) as I will be going out to Romania to volunteer with this amazing project.

Rural Arts Project (R.AP.)

I will be part of the R.A.P. which is a long term project currently being set up in a small village in the Bacau region of North-East Romania. Using music, art, dance, drama, circus and (soon to be) skateboarding, FSP create opportunities for community events, workshops, theatre projects and creative classes for isolated and underprivileged rural communities. 



Alongside that, 'visiting mini projects' will also be in full swing. The FSP organises short courses all over the country for up to two weeks, in various towns and villages.

This is something truly exciting that I can't wait to be a part of. 
By actually going to to Romania and offering my array of skills, to actively promote, fun, happiness and general well-being by means of offering such awesome opportunities to people that may need it most is one of the most beautiful gifts one person can offer another (or rather a group of humans to another group of less privileged humans). After all, isn't that what life is really about?

Alongside the other Flying Seagulls, I will be working all day, (although it won't feel like work at all!) , five days a week running workshops in drama , music, art, dance and skateboarding. Of course, I will be outfitted in the most ridiculous attire at all times… as long as it doesn’t hinder my skateboarding!

Of course, I am offering my 'services' completely free. It goes without saying! My flights there and back will completely funded by me. Just like all the other Seagulls who volunteer, I need to raise funds for my accommodation and food while I'm staying there. This is £50 per week and since I'm planning to go there for three months, it works out roughly at £600.

I am currently coming up with some fundraiser ideas, one of which is a Romanian themed May Day Art Fair (although the date will likely be at the end of May!) Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any ideas! My email is harrietalana@hotmail.co.uk.


No comments: